Thursday, November 03, 2005

Hold Fast

It’s possible, I suppose, that Portland will go under like all other sea-level cities when the oceans rise and overtake the land. And that will push water back up the Columbia River and there could be flooding here at my new home. But…joyous news…one of the highest spots in the country, Mt. Hood, is practically outside my front door. I can walk there (at a fast pace!). I wonder how many of us can squeeze onto a mountaintop?

Certainly it is something to think about in the light of recent events. Of course, I can also think about wild fires out of control in Mount Hood National Forest. Or another eruption of Mt. St. Helens. I could also get hit by a bus while crossing Sandy Boulevard.

So…after some very basic preparedness measures, I will forget all potential disasters and try to make each day count. Someone said, “Live every day as if it is your last. One of them will be.” Sounds like a plan to me.

This place does have the feel of safe harbor, with its history of being a destination for many, many travelers. It is cradled by the sturdy Cascade Mountains, nourished by the Columbia, Sandy and Willamette Rivers. It has had a magnetic draw since the days of Lewis and Clark. It has pulled this old lady into its arms here in 2005.

Whatever the future brings…I will be close to my family. We will join together and protect each other and stand firm against whatever nature throws at us. In fact, the motto of Clan MacLeod is “Hold Fast.” That we shall.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home