Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Big Storm System Approaching

Greetings from Soggy Bog, Oregon! Another wet day with rain and snow predicted and winter advisories urging folks to stay home and not drive. This is the Lion of March who outbested the Lamb. If I were leaving for work, it would be a “wet commute.” But as luck would have it, I don’t have a job so no problem there.

Folks are beginning to suffer the effects of cabin fever and there is a general escalation of irritated responses to casual unintended insults. At the postoffice, a woman with a baby shouting at a disabled senior who didn’t hold the door for her. At the grocery store, a man disregarding the Ten Items Only to the dismay of the soccer mom buying only milk. For my own protection, I try to stay out of the stores and out of people’s way. Road rage is no longer confined to the road, and an outburst can occur anywhere at any time.

Even stalwart Oregonians, used to rainy winters, are about done with this one. The term “unseasonable” doesn’t even cover it. Friends write from other parts of the country that the daffodils are blooming, and I remember the joy in Osceola of finding those green shoots and yellow flowers scattered throughout the yard. Nothing here but the same old pine trees and muddy yard.

We have plans for the weekend. A day of Scottish Country Dancing on Saturday and the Shamrock Run on Sunday. Guess which one I will skip if the rain continues. Despite my complete Gore-tex outfit, I would just as soon go with “Let’s don’t and say we did.” Windy has been planning on it, though. We’ll wait and see.

In about ten days, a friend is coming from California and we are praying to the Mayan gods to let up on the rain here for awhile. But…we can always stay inside and eat and play poker. [The new family fun activity.] The question is…Would I have moved here if I had known how wet and cold I would be? The answer is yes as the benefits of being close to family far outweigh the discomforts of mildew and mold.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home