Saturday, December 17, 2005

Penelope’s Web

Almost every week I make a trip to the Yarn Garden or the Craft Warehouse or the little place near my home in the back of a coffee shop. I cannot stop knitting. It consumes my time and for reasons I can’t really explain, I need to have something in progress all the time or I feel empty handed. I am reminded of the story of Penelope. You remember her…the wife of Ulysses, knitter and weaver of Greek mythology. Here is her story:

"Ulysses and Penelope had not enjoyed their union more than a year when it was interrupted by the events which called Ulysses to theTrojan war. During his long absence, and when it was doubtful whether he still lived, and highly improbable that he would ever return, Penelope was importuned by numerous suitors, from whom there seemed no refuge but in choosing one of them for her husband. Penelope, however, employed every art to gain time,still hoping for Ulysses' return. One of her arts of delay was engaging in the preparation of a robe for the funeral canopy of Laertes, her husband's father. She pledged herself to make her choice among the suitors when the robe was finished. During the day she worked at the robe, but in the night she undid the work of the day. This is the famous Penelope's Web, which is used as a proverbial expression for anything which is perpetually doing but never done." *

So I sit and knit. I have written of this before. I even put a pattern for a scarf here on the blog so you could join me. Try it. It is very soothing and relaxing. And remember….busy hands are happy hands.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home