Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Back from the Hinterland

My trip to Canada and Alaska was awesome! Both exhilarating and exhausting, it was indeed a once-in-a-lifetime experience. It may take awhile to write about all my doings and sort out all the input from so many adventures crammed into two weeks. Be patient. You will get the whole story bit by bit.

It was good to get home and sleep in my own bed. Although I will say my investment in a ThermaRest pad made sleep on the trip very comfortable. Also felt good to take a hot shower with unlimited hot water. And need I say how much I appreciate the city sewer system! I missed the dogs a lot and their warm, wet kisses of welcome were happily received. Not to mention Lenny’s purrs into my ear the first morning back.

Windy kept the home front going and I came home to a clean house, tended yard, watered plants, neatly stacked newspapers, magazines and mail. Food in the fridge as well. Certainly made my travel worry-free. The dogs and Lenny were delighted to be spared the boarding kennel.

I’m back at work with Friends of the Columbia Gorge for another three weeks before I leave for Colorado and Andy’s wedding. Lots to do in that regard. And getting the final details taken care of for The Book which should go to the printer soon. Plus working in a trip to the dentist and the eye doctor and buying a dress for the big event are filling up the calendar.

Mostly I came back from the trip realizing how blessed I am. With health and the ability to make the rather physically demanding wilderness venture. With a wonderful family that missed me and was on hand to greet me on my return. With a job to earn the money to pay for all this. With a joyous event coming up to add Laura to our family. With another exciting trip in the offing. With healthy happy pets. With the publication of my first book. With a cozy home in one of the most beautiful spots on earth.

As I approach my 69th birthday I can truly say life has never been better. I am grateful.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home