Thursday, December 21, 2006

Winter Solstice 2006

Winter Solstice begins here on the West Coast when the sun enters Capricorn at 4:22 p.m. PST on December 21st. Depending on how far east you might be (in Paris, for instance) the date might be different. Officially it’s 0:22 GMT on December 22nd.

Today I plan to go at 4:22 p.m. to St. Luke the Physician Episcopal Church to walk the newly installed replica of the Chartres Labyrinth. It is outdoors with an awesome view of Mt. Hood (on a clear day). I’ll stop at Starbuck’s for my favorite cup of peppermint mocha to take along. When the labyrinth is an outside one, it is a wonderful opportunity to connect with nature and Mother Earth, allowing the walker to realize how sacred & special everything is.

The labyrinth is an ancient symbol representing wholeness that is over 3,500 years old. When this symbol is transferred to the ground and walked with purpose, it becomes a metaphor for the journey of life. It is a single path to our center, the inner self; a slowing down and listening, then returning to the outer world feeling renewed and rejuvenated. The stillness of the experience opens us to creativity and new ideas.


At this time, I will be thinking of my many friends across the country and the world and how much I treasure our special friendship. I wish each of you peace and joy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home