Friday, January 26, 2007

Marching To Send a Message




In March 2003, I was all alone on the lawn of Courthouse Square in Osceola protesting the decision to go to war in Iraq. On that day there were protests across the country, most attracting more folks that turned out in that little Ozarks town. It was about 20 degrees that Sunday, and I had the fur hood of my Cabela coat pulled tight around my face. People driving home from church or heading to Colby’s for Sunday dinner had varying reactions. Some ignored me, some flipped me off, an occasional driver or passenger gave a half-hearted little wave. One car honked as it went by. I stood out there till I couldn’t feel my toes. Later that week, the local newspaper, the St. Clair County Courier ran my photo and a short story about my vigil. A lone voice.

I was back in the same spot the next year for the nationwide protest demonstration. One other person joined me on that day but the scene was much the same. Listless waves or looks that went right through us. Deb brought a ghetto blaster and we danced a little in the pagoda to relieve the tedium. I felt better when I went home having made my personal statement about the war in Iraq and war in general.

Here in Portland, hundreds of people will pour into the streets, and their voices will be heard. What’s going on in your town? Will you be out there? “All we are saying is give peace a chance.”

3 Comments:

Blogger ej ramblin said...

Our core group of 5 stood on the corner Friday night with our "Peace Is Patriotic" and "No War" signs ...our 4th consecutive Friday...and got many passing peace signs and honks from people. When we're not sure of the gesture, we figure they're "on our side"....
Thankfully the coldest and darkest time of this year is passed....
Our Antelope Valley Unitarian Universalist children and adults are making us bigger signs...we are small and we are a community!

12:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This woman is a total loon! She was fired as administrator of the local health center after driving it deep in debt. I recall seeing her on the courthouse lawn -- and due to who she is -- gave her little thought. Definitely glad to see her move -- out of our peaceful town!

6:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work.

8:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home