Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Summer Morning

My favorite time. A soft gentle breeze is blowing in the windows. Birds are chirping and the mail has arrived early. A pitcher of iced tea is mixed and ready for the afternoon when it is predicted to be [gasp!] triple digits. While other parts of the country, and the world for that matter, shrug off the heat and go on about their business, the residents of Portland and environs go into full red alert. It is the top story on the newscasts and headlines in the newspaper. Stores have sold out of air conditioners.

For me, this is just another day. I am grateful for the health problem that requires me to sit on the couch and read and knit and work the crossword and nap. The heat doesn’t change that except for the fact that my meds may not work as efficiently. I did break down and take the flannel sheets off my bed, but I still pull the wool blankets up during the night. The cool breeze off the river makes the bedroom really chilly.

When I first got home from the hospital, it took me all day (and an assist from Google and Wikipedia) to finish the crossword. Yesterday I did it in my usual time (the same as to drink a cup of coffee). Some words just linger out there in the periphery and I have to come around from behind and grab them. For those who don’t know my quirks, I do NOT work the NY Times crossword. Those NYT snobs really irk me. I like the daily Oregonian puzzle that gets harder each day Monday through Saturday. Awhile back they ran a contest and readers got to vote for their favorite version. It is just about right for my skill level.

I have all week to get ready for the Family Camping Adventure. We leave Friday morning for Indian Henry campground in the Mt. Hood National Forest. I am taking a good book (The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society), my knitting (a wool sweater from Elizabeth Zimmermann’s Almanac) and some crosswords ( in a magazine that was a gift from my friend Brenda). It has been TWENTY-NINE days since it has rained in Portland. Some kind of record. Bestowed by the gods.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home