Thursday, October 08, 2009

Early On A Frosty Morn

Mornings come early for me these days. Despite what time I go to bed, I wake up around 5:30 or 6:00 a.m. It’s been a long time since I needed an alarm clock. Today I was up while it was still dark. A reminder that summer is over, fall is here, and the earth has turned. I like to sit at the window and watch the sky lighten in the east as the mountain wakes up to join me. Lately we have had some awesome sunrises. Usually by my second cup of coffee the sun’s rays begin to hit the roofs of nearby houses. It will be awhile before sunlight floods my front porch.

We have had our first frost earlier this week and mornings are quite chilly and wet with misty fog. Shivers when I go out for the paper which is securely wrapped in plastic and up off the ground in a bright yellow plastic tube. As the day wears on, the temperature climbs and we have nearly perfect autumn afternoons. Sharp and clear and just right for walking the dogs. No need for a coat or jacket yet.

Weather reports from other parts of the country and world tell of heavy storms, typhoons, floods, earthquakes, deluges, mud slides, and snow. The Northwest is spared so far. The rains will start soon enough and dreary skies will take over. True Oregonians do not retreat inside, but don their rain gear and soldier on. There will be wrecks on the freeway of course, and some complaints. But this is Rain Country and people who choose to live here love being wet.

Today though the air is dry and crisp. As the daylight fades, I’ll close the windows and soon after draw the curtains shutting out the night. But I’ll go out on the porch at some point to see the moon that is going to get blasted early tomorrow. And sniff the air for signs of rain coming.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home