Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Et tu, Brute?

Today is the Ides of March, the day that Julius Caesar was murdered in 44 B.C. He was stabbed in the back by an angry group of senators, led by Marcus Junius Brutus, Caesar’s great friend and senator. Caesar initially resisted his attackers, but when he saw Brutus, he supposedly spoke these words, “Et tu, Brute?” and resigned himself to his fate.

As far as Caesar knew, the Ides was just another day. Even though he had been told “Beware the Ides of March” he was not prepared for the betrayal. Today the soothsayer’s warning has imbued the date with a sense of doom and foreboding. Thanks in part to Shakespeare who included the famous words in his play.

Did you know it used to be the day income taxes were due. Back in my childhood, my father always commented on the choice of date by the government. I don’t know when they changed it to April 15th, but only us oldies can remember March 15th as a day to beware of the IRS!

Today is also the birthday of my friend Kelly who lives in Grass Valley, California. Tomorrow is the birthday of my friend Brenda who lives in Calhoun, Missouri. Next week, on the 23rd, my son Scott who lives in Portland, Oregon will celebrate his birthday. Greetings and felicitations to all born in March.

This is also Trash Pick-Up Day in Wood Village and the rumble of the recycling truck can be heard as it stop/starts all around the loop. I still marvel at the convenience of having someone pick up my cans and bottles and papers right at my front door. In Missouri, I took these items 100 miles to Kansas City to recycle.

Today is also the day Little Buddy comes home after his hip surgery. We are so anxious to have him back with us. We have missed his happy spirit and the way he is so excited to see us every morning. Thanks to all who have sent good thoughts to him.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home