Thursday, March 23, 2006

Scott’s Birthday

On February 9, 1964, I settled down, hugely pregnant, in my rocking chair to watch the Ed Sullivan Show on our little black and white TV. Before then I wasn’t really familiar with the Beatles, although I had probably heard their songs on the radio. But that night I got it. And in my mind, all these years later, that was the kick-off…the beginning of an era of music that burst forth and captured the sixties. My son’s lifetime ago.

That child I was carrying was Gregory Scott Graham, who was born six weeks later on March 23, 1964 in Marin County General Hospital. We were living in Sausalito at the time, around the corner from the home of the Kingston Trio, and up until then we were mostly into the folk music scene, with the Weavers and Joan Baez big favorites. Dylan, of course, figured in there as well. But when the Beatles hit, the scene changed. And I truly think it permeated my body and soul as Scott has loved music and been very much influenced by those sixties musicians as well.

He and I have created some memorable moments around music, attending shows and concerts and events in Golden Gate Park. And his guitar playing has made many times in my life more pleasurable. Who knew…on that cold winter night forty-two years ago… that such a wonderful son was going to be born and bring so much joy into my life. Happy Birthday, dear Scott.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home