Friday, March 17, 2006

Erin Go Bragh

Today is St. Patrick’s Day and my saint’s day and a day that people of Irish descent celebrate by drinking green beer and becoming rowdy in the streets.

Here is something I’ll bet you didn’t know. The phrase Erin go bragh came from a 19th century Scottish song that tells the story of a Highland Scot who is mistaken for an Irishman. It goes like this:

My name's Duncan Campbell from the shire of Argyll
I've travelled this country for many's the mile
I've travelled through Ireland, Scotland and a'
And the name I go under's bold Erin-go-bragh

One night in Auld Reekie as I walked down the street
A saucy big polis I chanced for to meet
He glowered in my face and he gi'ed me some jaw
Sayin' "When cam' ye over, bold Erin-go-bragh?"

The usual translation of the phrase is Ireland Forever and it has now come to stand for Irish nationalism. Whatever your heritage, have a happy St. Paddy’s Day, don’t drink and drive, and remember Scotland.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home