Saturday, March 18, 2006

“It’s Not Too Late To Sleep Like A Baby…

…Mattress World.” Sometimes those advertising jingles just sneak into your head and keep playing over and over and over. Portland has some great mattress store ads, the “baby” ad being one of my favorites. The other is Sleep Country USA’s question, “Why buy a mattress anywhere else?” I haven’t really counted but I would guess these ads are on local TV stations once an hour 24/7 and you would be hard pressed to find any Portlander who couldn’t identify them.

I’m not in the market for a new bed. I bought one three years ago and I will tell you it made a world of difference. Back in 1987, I fell for one of those Sleep Easy commercials and bought a foam pad and box spring that were delivered the next day and lasted me for sixteen years. It seemed great in the beginning and I just didn’t realize how lumpy and dented that mattress had gotten until I splurged on a new one.

My back bothers me. A combination of old age, arthritis, osteoporosis, and scoliosis. Exercise helps and Princess and I walk every day. It also helps to keep my weight down. But nothing beats a good night’s sleep in a comfortable bed. Notice I said “in” not “on.” I like it soft as a cloud and wrapped around me so I don’t roll around. None of that sleep number stuff for me. No board under the mattress. No firmness.

Here in Portland on these cold dark damp evenings, I turn on the electric blanket to warm things up a bit before I hop in. I turn it off then as it is not a good idea to mess around with your magnetic field, especially when you are sleeping. On top of the electric blanket I have a regular bright yellow one that my sister gave me many years ago. And on top of that a patchwork quilt my ex-husband’s mother made out of Grandpa’s pajamas. Once I am under all that I can hardly move, but I feel safe and warm and dry despite the beat of the rain on the window.

Good night. Sleep tight. Don’t let the bedbugs bite.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home