Wednesday, June 06, 2007

What's In A Name?

Just to make a point relevant to the latest news from my end of the earth: the correct term for what I am about to become is Grandmother. Not Grandma. "Grandma" Graham is 100 years old and lives in Petaluma, California and still makes aprons and is beloved by all her grandchildren. Windy's baby will be her great-grandchild and will call her Grandma as all the others do.

On the other hand, I will not be Grandma. I will be Grandmother and the little one will decide on a nickname when he/she begins to talk. Something like Nana which I like, or GaGa which I called my own grandmother. Or some other gibberish or string of rhyming syllables. There is, of course, a term some of you will recognize from 70s TV: "Not-the-Momma."

I'm reminded of the Rowan and Martin skit "You can call me Ray. Or you can call me R.J.” Enough reminiscing. I don't care what the kid calls me, but the grown-ups will refer to me as Grandmother and, as is the case with calling me Patty, only call me Grandma once.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ooops...just sent a card and I'm pretty sure I used "Grandma." Well, that's my one time ;0). -Kim

7:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home