Thursday, May 03, 2007

R.I.P. Betty

My 82-year old neighbor here in the Park passed away last week. Very suddenly. She worked as a Greeter at Wal-Mart right up to the end. Came home early on Friday feeling very tired and was gone by Monday. She had one of the best kept homes in the Park. She was very proud that she still had her driver’s license and that her son had failed in his attempts to take away her car keys. She rarely drove farther than five miles, but she kept the car sparkling clean and well-maintained.

I often stopped to visit with her on my walks with the dogs. Like many older folks, she missed having a pet and fondly remembered ones she had had in the past. My dogs often serve as surrogates in that regard. She usually forgot my name, but remembered Princess and Buddy.

Now when I pass by her house, the shades are drawn and the blinds closed and there are dead leaves collecting on the windshield of the car. The dogs pause as if expecting a cheerful hello. She will be missed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home