Sunday, June 08, 2008

The 100 Thing Challenge

Have you heard of it? A grass roots movement in which otherwise seemingly normal folks are pledging to whittle down their possessions to a mere 100 items. Seems a bit severe to me, but there are many variations. And of course, there’s a great deal of disagreement about what constitutes an “item.” For example…is one book an item, or is my entire library an item? What about my turtle collection? The family china? I guess if you are going on a backpack trip for about five years you might want to do this.

But I have decided to declutter in a slightly different way. I am going to find 100 Things to get rid of. Where to begin? I am very attached to my things and purging all those sentimental objects is like amputating my soul. Well…I guess I could start in the work shed and jettison some cans of paint and a broken shovel. I don’t really want to do this.

Please don’t tell me to see my stuff on eBay. Too much trouble and I don’t really want someone else to have the things I’ve treasured throughout my life. Who wants the chipped blue vase my daughter gave me when she was six? She bought it for 25 cents at a garage sale as a Mother’s Day present. The first gift she picked out on her own. It still makes me smile. And I still use it.

But it is time to start looking at my infamous Stuff. I know people who have more Stuff than I do but most won’t admit it. I know women who have 100 items in their purse. My new little granddaughter has 100 stuffed animals.

But I am going to give it a try. One hundred items by end of summer. Can I do it? Watch this space for a running tally. Let me know if you will take the challenge with me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home