Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Twenty Five Hundred Miles

Every day for seven years I have taken a walk with my dog Osage Princess Dark Star by my side. Of course, there were a few days along the way when I was in the hospital or out of town, but otherwise we have gone. Usually at the end of the afternoon, sometimes after dark if I was late getting home from work. We have gone in the blistering heat of summer in Missouri and hunched down to face the fierce East Winds of Oregon. Rain or shine, hot or cold, snow or mud or flood. We have gone.

I have full on Gore-tex and, except for my glasses, I am fully waterproof. Princess was born waterproof. We have walked on sidewalks, paths, trails, through fields, over rocks, and inside stores that welcome us. Thanks to Trainer George, Princess heels beautifully with her nose near my left knee, ignoring distractions, always aware of where I am going. The leash is “loose” and in fact, one time her collar came unfastened but she just kept going along. I didn’t notice until we got home that I was carrying an empty leash. Her loyal companionship is one of many things I am thankful for.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home