Sunday, December 21, 2008

Winter Solstice

The wheel turns and the Winter Solstice today, December 21st at 04:04 PST, marks the shortest day and the longest night of the year. As the Earth tilts toward the light, spend some time in silence to meditate on the past, honor the present, and look to the future. Here at The Hideaway we will click on the party lights, put on some Celtic music, light scented candles & incense, enjoy the quiet pleasure of peacefulness in this very unexpected very White Solstice.

We are under a Blizzard Warning here in Wood Village. Solid ice has pretty much paralyzed the area where I live. The wind has blown four to six foot drifts across the roads and piled up huge berms along the fence lines. It’s Sunday morning but no paper to read while I have my coffee. When I opened the door to let the dogs out, a huge pile of snow landed in the living room. Little Buddy came a cropper. He has never seen snow like this. He had quite a hard fall and I had to get out the shovel (I brought from Missouri!) and clear the stairs before he could get back in the house.

The bird feeders were emptied by the wind and piles of snow buried all the bird seed. So I was out in my pajamas first thing this morning to restock and scatter seed on top of the snow. No sense putting water out as it freezes quickly. From the kitchen window I have seen the grateful birds arrive in droves.

A very determined Red-bellied Woodpecker (not to be confused with the Red -headed or Red-breasted variety) is outside the deck trying to chop down my giant pine tree. At the bird feeder on the porch are Chickadees, Sparrows, Flickers and Dark-eyed Juncos. I have seen Robins in the area but none come to the feeders. Some of the traveling geese didn’t make it out in time and I heard honking in the sky.

A long, dark, cold, windy day. But I am safe inside. Warm and dry and enjoying the view from the window.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home