Monday, October 08, 2007

Bean Soup and Baseball

Saturday night I put the beans on to soak so I could start the Fifteen Bean Soup early Sunday morning. It simmered in the crockpot while Andy and I watched the back-to-back baseball games in the play-offs. Our teams (Indians and Red Sox) won so it was a pretty good day. The skies opened up and poured rain and it was the perfect day to be inside with soup and cornbread, great TV and good companionship.

Two years ago at this time I was still in Missouri and Phil and I were packing up Terrapin Station and getting ready to move my worldly goods to Oregon. The TV was one of the last unpacked items, left out so we could watch the play-offs. After a day of shoving furniture and packing, taping, and stacking boxes, it was great to kick back and watch a little baseball. Of course, our beloved Cardinals were playing so that made it special.

Thursday night Andy and I will have a dilemma as we really don’t have ties to either team. I went to school in Boulder so I tend to lean toward Colorado. Andy’s wife, Laura, is from Arizona so he is more inclined to root for them.

We’ll all descend on Scott later this month to watch the World Series on his big screen high def TV. What fun to share these times with my sons. As a child, I shared listening to games on the radio with my mother, a devoted Dodgers fan. It is something to look forward to in the Fall. There is, after all, only one October!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home