Monday, October 22, 2007

California Is Burning

Watching on TV as the devastating fires engulf southern California, it makes one grateful for the rain in Portland. It is hard to imagine the “dryness” that is contributing to the fires when we are drenched and soggy here in Oregon. The wet weather does free up our firefighters to help out our neighboring state.

All morning the fire fighting planes have been taking off from their base airport near my house. Usually that is the staging area for wildfires in the National Forest in northwest and central Oregon. Fire season is over here and the planes are headed south.

Video scenes look eerily like the photos from the air of the rain forest burning in Brazil. It suggests the nightmare of “the world is burning,” a scenario that does not seem so far-fetched today. It is difficult to comprehend a quarter of a million people displaced from their homes. Where will all these people go? An unanticipated mass migration.

If any of my readers are being affected…my heart goes out to you.

1 Comments:

Blogger ej ramblin said...

Yes, the all day on-going news of SoCal fires is mesmerizing and astounding. One slows down, another starts. And the wind continues to howl.
I see smoke plumes to the west and that's close enough for me!
I'm pretty sure I know people who have lost their homes....as you said, my heart goes out to them...and all the displaced people.

8:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home