Sunday, November 11, 2007

Armistice Day

The eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month” was a phrase I heard often as a small child. My family continued to call November 11th Armistice Day for many years even after it was officially changed to Veteran’s Day after World War II. Both my father and my Uncle Phil fought in World War I and a day commemorating their service was important to them.

To pay tribute to them, commemorative bricks were laid in the Walk of Honor at the Liberty Memorial in Kansas City, Missouri at a Recognition Ceremony May 30, 2005. I was a guest of honor at the event. Among the memorabilia I collected for the occasion is a newspaper page with photos of a parade to observe “Armistice Day” down Main Street in Kansas City dated November 11, 1929.

Please observe a moment of silence at the 11th Hour today to honor the veterans in my family and others you know.

My father:
Clarence “Andy” Anderson
1896 – 1964
He was an “Observer” for the Army Air Force as it was believed that deaf people had exceptional eyesight. He was stationed in England.

My uncle:
Philip Sheldon Barnes
1892 – 1946
He was an aviator with the US Army and stationed in France. He was classified as a “pursuit pilot” after training in Riverside, California.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home